Yesterday, I covered a kid and adult friendly fish sticks recipe and today it is another one of Ellie's favorites...notice a pattern forming here? Yeah, all the recipes have to be Ellie approved.
Today, I am making Ellie's favorite soup, tomato. It is another dish she gets at school and is constantly hounding me for. I wanted to make something that did not 'plop' out of a can if you know what I mean. Here is my version of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. And what goes better with tomato than mozzarella cheese and basil? Not much that I can think of so I made some cheese toast to go with the soup. It is a great pairing.
Tomato Soup Recipe
2 celery stalk
1 tablespoon olive oil
28 to 29 ounces canned chopped tomatoes (use 2 small or one big, whatever you have on hand)
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper, to taste
- Either by hand or food processor, dice onion, carrots and celery.
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until soft.
- Add remanining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stir frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- In a blender, puree all the soup until smooth.
Cheese Toast Recipe
4 slices of french or other crusty bread
1/2 shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly butter both sides of the bread and place on baking pan.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of bread.
- Top with basil.
- Bake until cheese starts to melt.
- Switch oven to broil and broil until cheese starts to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with tomato soup.