I am always looking for recipes that I can make that both Ellie and the grown-ups in the house will want to eat so this week I will posting recipes that are kid friendly but that adults will want to eat too.
First up, fish sticks. Ellie loves them, I hate them. Apparently she gets them at school once every two weeks or so. Now she has taken to asking for them for dinner. I try really hard to not get into the habit of making one dinner for Ellie and one for us. I feel like once I go down that path, it would be too hard to turn back.
I hope you like the upcoming Kid Friendly recipes. I know we do. In fact, Rob liked the fish sticks so much he asked if I would make them again for guests we were having over. What a great compliment.
Fish Sticks Recipe
spray vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 pound white fish fillets, cod or tilapia, cut into "fish-stick-size" strips
- Heat oven to 450.
- Spray oil on a rimmed baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Mix bread crumbs, cheese, and seasonings together in a shallow dish until blended.
- Put flour in another shallow dish.
- Put eggs in an additional shallow dish.
- Coat each piece of fish evenly with flour.
- Dip each floured fish piece in egg.
- Evenly coat each floured, egged piece in crumb mixture.
- Place fish sticks onto the baking sheet and spray with vegetable oil.
- If the fish sticks are frozen, allow them to sit on the pan for about 15 minutes to soften up.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, turning about half way through and lightly spraying top with cooking spray.
- Serve immediately.
Notes: I cut and coated the fish sticks while still frozen. If you will not be using all of the fish sticks in one sitting, you can freeze them after you bread them. Just place the baking pan in the freezer until the coating is completely frozen. Remove the fish sticks from the pan and place in a freezer safe air tight container until you are ready to use.